This plugin simply allows you to build your page content with widgets instead of using the default page layout for your theme.
Using the Atom Builder
By default, only basic pages are supported. It basically registers a widget area for all of your pages.
To avoir cluttering the admin area, the newly registered widget areas do not appear alongside your themes standard ones, and you have to access them directly in the customizer.
To see it in action :
* Just visit any page on your site while logged in, and click the Customize link.
* In the Customizer panel, click on Widgets and you should see a widget area registered for your page.
* Just use the widgets you need to build your page content.
This plugin provides you with 3 additional widgets to help you build your page with interesting content and layout: Atom Builder Page, Atom Builder Post, and Atom Builder Posts widgets.
These basic widgets will probably get a bit more complex and have more options in the future, and a few more custom widgets will be added later, but thats a start.
Adding theme support for the Atom Builder
By default, the Atom Builder replaces your page content using the_content filter. That means any markup you have before, such as the title for example, will be kept.
Only your content as it appears in the editor in the admin area is replaced.
If you want to replace the whole content for your page, youll have to tweak your themes code a little bit.
Add theme support for the Atom builder in your child themes functions.php file by simply adding this snippet.
add_action( after_setup_theme, mythemeprefix_add_atom_builder_support );
- Add theme support for the Atom Builder
- This deactivate the basic filter on the_content.
- Just replace your get_template_part() call in page.php with atom_builder_get_template_part() to replace your whole page content template with registered widgets.
add_theme_support( atom-builder );
Duplicate the page.php template from your theme in your child themes folder.
- Replace the
get_template_part()function call with
atom_builder_get_template_part(), with the same parameters. (Basically all you need to do is prefix it.)
- Now everything should work fine. Your whole template is replaced with widgets now, not just your content.
- Upload the plugin files to the
/wp-content/plugins/atom-builderdirectory, or install the plugin through the WordPress plugins screen directly.
- Activate the plugin through the Plugins screen in WordPress
- Thats it ! Edit your pages in the customizer and add widgets to your page to see it in action !
Not yet. By default, it only works with basic pages. But theres a hook for that ! Developper documentation is in writing, dont worry.
Have a look in the
init-functions.phpfile in the
inc/folder to see how it works.
Of course ! The three widgets included are just a start.